Kitchen Cubby Organization

Sunday, April 10, 2011

 My Saturday was spent overhauling the little place in my kitchen that always drives me crazy!

So this is what it looked like before my organizing started. I know, it doesn't look awful. But the inside is what drives me so crazy...


And I realize that that isn't awful either. The problem is, the only purpose all that space had (before today) was to catch everything that came into the house. It wasn't functional at all.

And since we now have an office outside our house (not in our guest bedroom anymore) that's where most of my Scentsy "work" stuff is. But there are 3 days out of every week that I completely work from home. And I needed to organize a space where I could actually function.


 So I slowly began to pull everything out of the cabinets. Now I am going to warn you, it gets much worse before it gets better. And my best advice for your spring cleaning is that you tackle one project at a time. Otherwise, you'll end up with a big mess!

Yes, it eventually overtook my entire kitchen! But oh how it makes me happy! I did venture out to the place I hate more than anything (Wal-Mart!) to buy a couple organizational tools to help me make a more functional work space, but I also used some things I found around the house that I already had on hand.

And a few hours later....



Oh look how functional it is! Ahhhhhh! I can hardly contain my excitement! It doesn't matter whether you work outside the home or inside it; everyone needs functional work space in their home. You need a place to pay bills, manage schedules, plan meals, plan your week, etc.

I found an inexpensive pink collapsible bin (top shelf) at Wal-Mart for all the pictures I've had printed that are recent pictures that I still wanted to have close at hand. But they're on the top shelf since they're not something I'll need everyday. I also have 2 magazine holders in there. The black one has all the kids' schedules in it (ballet, gymboree, etc) and any upcoming e-mealz lists that I've printed off.

The pink one has a couple notebooks in it. I usually always have one on me to take notes, and I switch them in and out until they're full. The basket (tall and skinny) is for business receipts, and then there is a great bill organizer in between the 2. And of course there are Scentsy bricks there for easy scent changes at any time.


The front section of this desk organizer has "bills to pay" inside. Then the 2nd section (directly behind the bills) is for mail that I simply haven't opened yet because I hate it when it sits unopened on my kitchen counter!

There are 3 smaller sections in the back. One for stamps and return address labels, one for checkbooks, and one for pens.




I also found 2 clear stackable bins (far left) for recipe cards and items like tape, box cutters, etc on the top. The stackable feature is great since it allows you to get the most use out of your space.

This side holds the ipod dock and speakers as well as more Scentsy and a CD/DVD holder that has coupons and DVS in it. Perfect solution and easy to get to.


 Overall, it was a highly successful day. Now all I'm missing are my goals (which, since they recently changed are not on my board.) They will be up tomorrow, and I will be ready for my favorite day....Sunday! Church, lunch, planning, shopping, and more. I can't wait! Happy Sunday eve everyone!

Wishing everyone a functional work space! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I have been wanting to add on one of these little work spaces in our kitchen so we don't have to use up a whole room for an office!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs