Preparation vs. Fear (and why preparation always wins)

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Today I set out to do something I've never done before, and I almost let fear stop me from doing it. My plan to prepare for the 1/2 marathon I'm running on May 1st were to run a long run of 10 miles this week and then another long run of 13.1 next week before the race next Sunday.

The farthest I have ever run is 7 miles, so I was really nervous about attempting to run 10 today. I think my biggest fear was simply that I couldn't do it. I have a huge fear of failure!

Obviously by now you know that I'm a planner. I like to be prepared for things. So in preparation for my run today, I loaded my fuel belt with a small bottle of water and a small bottle of Gatorade. I added some energy jelly beans and a few pieces of gum to the small pack attached to my fuel belt. I slid my credit card into the arm band that holds my phone, put my ID bracelet on (in case I get hit by a car, at least the paramedics will know who to call), and finally double knotted my running shoes. I mapped a route on the computer and made some lunch.

I chugged a couple of Gatorades during my tuna sandwich lunch and started feeling ready! And then doubt set in...

What if I really need water and I run out? What will I do?!
Answer: That's why you have your credit card. You'll pass a Walgreens or a convenience store on every corner. You can walk in a get one!

What if I start to lose energy?
Answer: Pop a couple of energy jelly beans and go on your way.

What if I have to pee?
Answer: See answer to concern #1. Stop somewhere. Duh.

And the doubts went on and on; one after the other.

Sometimes the hardest part is taking the first step. Have you ever noticed that?

But if you do some careful preparation, it's a lot easier to convince yourself to take that 1st step.

For example, my Scentsy journey was very similar. I was worried that I would not be able to sell a single candle to anyone. What did I do? I prepared.

I read everything I could get my hands on. I watched every training I had access to, and I scheduled my business launch party as that first step out the door. I prepared what I was going to say; what I wanted the display to look like; what kind of food we would have. I thought it all out and got it all ready.

Then the 1st step became a little easier.

The same is true when I have to speak on stage. If I'm not prepared, I become a nervous wreck! (and rightfully so!) But when I've thought out what I want to say and the message I want everyone to walk away with, it's so much easier to stand on stage and speak.

So......I have to ask....
What is fear stopping you from doing?

And what can you do to prepare to take the 1st step to overcome that fear?

Preparation makes a huge difference. It often makes us or breaks us. It helps us succeed. The lack of it often aids us in failing.

What preparation do you need to make? What 1st step have you been putting off?

Back to that 10 mile run. I took the first step. And I took it confidently knowing that I was prepared for whatever situation presented itself.

And to my surprise, I ran faster and felt better than I ever have on a run! I ran 10 miles averaging 8 minutes 40 seconds per mile. What I thought was going to take me close to 2 hours, actually only took me 1 hour and a half.

And to top it off, when my run tracker announced that I had successfully run 10 miles, I cried. Yep. Sure did. I don't know why. I guess because I thought I couldn't do it.I walked for a while and cried.

Then I decided to run some more. I ended up running 11 miles instead of 10. And I have to say, it all started with a little preparation. It set my mind in the right gear. It allowed me to fight against doubt and fear. And because of a little preparation, I ended up finishing better than I expected to.

Eliminate your fears and doubts with a little prep time and find out what you can do better than you ever expected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs