The Sunday Seven

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tonight I'm writing in the midst of being behind. Since it's Easter Sunday, I didn't get a chance to do my weekly grocery shopping or to really set down and plan....no worries, I'll have my plan for the week before I go to bed, and hopefully you will too after reading this.

The problem with planning is that it's often hard to get started. Sometimes it's hard to figure out exactly what needs to get done each week. A few posts ago, I talked about the idea of putting all the Big Rocks (or most important things in your life) into a jar before attempting to put in the smaller rocks. That way, everything fits easier.

So I came up with an idea, and we're going to call it "The Sunday Seven." I have to thank my friend Nicole for giving me the idea. She does something similar on her blog called 5 for Friday. But we're going to start "The Sunday Seven."


If we look at the ares of our life that need our attention and focus, we can usually find about 7.

  1. Faith
  2. Family
  3. Relationships 
  4. Work 
  5. Health and Fitness
  6. Finances
  7. Me Time 

"The Sunday Seven" are the 7 biggest "rocks" in your life; the 7 things or tasks that really need to happen in each area of your life each week. This is not a list of everything that needs to be done, but it is a list of the most important things in each section of your life.

For example, this week, my "Sunday Seven" looks something like this:
  1. Faith: read my bible 20 minutes a day, 6 days this week. 
  2. Family and Relationships: scheduled, intentional, fun time with each of my kids this week; movie night with Brian
  3. Home Organization: closets switched over from Fall/Winter to Spring/Summer
  4. Work: Team and Director Updates; Spring Bling presentation preparation
  5. Health and Fitness: 4 home cooked meals this week; 3 runs in prep for 1/2 marathon on Sunday
  6. Finances: balance both checking accounts and budget the remainder of the month
  7. Me Time: bible study (small group), runs, at least 1 bubble bath this week!
 As you can see, I slightly edited my 7 by grouping family and relationships together and adding Home Organization. I've been working on making the house more organized and functional, so I thought this would be an appropriate category for me right now.

Your 7 categories may be slightly different, and the activities will more than likely change each week. This is a great way to start your week intentionally by identifying the things that are most important in a week and making sure they get done before anything else. There are lots of other things that need to be done, but they should be smaller things that can fit in around the biggest and most important things.

And I must make a note about "Me Time." Yes, it needs to be a category! As women, we often neglect this very important section of our life. When we don't have time in quiet, time to focus on nothing else but the ramblings of our mind, we can go crazy. Finding time for yourself each week should definitely be a priority. Don't skip this one!

So, I hope you're up to the "Sunday Seven" challenge. Join me for the next 7 Sundays in a row, as we list "The Sunday Seven" and become intentional about our plans for the week.

What are your "Sunday Seven"?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs