Over, Under or Around it

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

There are many times in our business that I have hit a wall. A place where I've felt like there is nothing else I can do and no one else I can talk to. Sometimes the wall is short lived. Sometimes it lasts much longer.



The past for months I have stared at the wall. I was beginning to believe my time was over. I was tired, unmotivated, uninspired, and definitely uninspiring.

And then I went to Disney World for a week. I didn't answer my phone; I didn't check my e-mails; I completely unplugged.

I watched my children light up at the sight of Mickey Mouse and Buzz Lightyear . Fireworks brightened every night. Luke rode a train around the Magic Kingdom with a grin from ear to ear, and Addy delighted in dressing up as a princess and then meeting a few for dinner in a castle in a far away land. What can I say? It really is a magical place.

And through it all, I realized that what I do for work is really the job of a lifetime. It's not always easy (I hate it when people say it is), but direct sales can be so incredibly rewarding. For me the rewards have come in uncountable places. Obviously financially, but more important than that is that the person I am because of Scentsy and my involvement with this company is someone I never expected to be. I have friendships that I never expected to have and family relationships that flourish because of Scentsy.

After stepping aside from it all this week, I was reminded of what it takes to make this work. I would imagine it's the same when you experience burnout with any job. Go back to the basics! I had to remind myself that it's not as complicated as I sometimes make it.  My job is really to sell Scentsy, show other people the opportunity it presents for so many, and teach other people how to run successful businesses.

I'm not sure I've been great at any of those things lately. But I know how to do it, and I know that I can do it. Sometimes you just have to find a way over, under, or around the wall in front of you. If you're feeling like you're standing in front of a wall, maybe you need to unplug for a while. Remind yourself why you do whatever it is you do. And if you can't go over, under, or around the wall, then maybe you just have to break through it.

No matter what you do for a living, there are always ups and downs. Remember if you can find joy in the journey, then you'll find peace and happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs