Peanut Butter Toast and the water

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Peanut butter toast is one of the few things that can make me feel at home no matter where I am. It reminds me of summer mornings spent with my daddy on the beaches in Georgia. My dad had this great house right on the beach on Tybee Island with a porch that wrapped all the way around.

I remember having peanut butter toast almost every morning while tasting the saltiness in the air and hearing the surf crash against the sand. What a way to wake up every morning. I think Tybee is what created my love for the water and for peanut butter toast. Both things just make me feel at home no matter how far from it I really am.

Tonight, we're far from home. We spent last night driving from Oklahoma to Tennessee, and considering we had a 2 and 4 year old with us, I think it went pretty well. It was actually unusually uneventful. Except for the fact that Brian and I are both exhausted (him more than me....I slept some), we survived.

But anyways, back on topic.....peanut butter toast and the water....



Tonight as I was making peanut butter toast for Addy and Luke as a night time snack, I felt strangely at home. The smell of the toaster as it slowly warms the bread and the way the peanut butter melts instantly into the warm toast, it just immediately takes me someplace comfortable. Plus, we're staying in a great lake house literally steps from the water. My soul is happy.

Speaking of my soul, I don't know if you noticed or not, but I did not post anything yesterday! For the 1st time in 3 months, I did not blog. But I did feel like something was missing. My soul sort of ached for words and inspiration and something to write about. I didn't intentionally not write, I just knew it was June 1st, and I didn't have to.

Oddly enough, I think my blogging journey will have to continue mostly because I'm learning so much about myself, my God, and the things that bring value to our everyday lives. Saying that I'll continue to write everyday is a huge burden, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to write most days. It's amazing how doing something every single day really does create a habit. I've never created a habit before, and I like it!

I guess I can add writing to my list of things up there.....Maybe I should have titled this post,

Peanut butter toast, the water, and writing...the things that make my soul sing.

And all 3 have always made me feel at home in a place and most importantly in my own skin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs