An Auction to Remember

Saturday, September 10, 2011


My daughter, Addison, has the wonderful opportunity to attend a school like no other. It really is unbelievable.

Every morning begins with 53 kiddos treading through the dew covered grass to pick up horse and llama poop. Then they have to feed the animals (including the ducks!).

Inside the giant house these kids call school, are classrooms that make you want to snuggle up and read a book. Music and art are a part of everyday life at her school.

But, it takes a lot of money to run schools like this.

Tonight was Keystone's annual KickstART. It's a fundraiser to raise money to help this school run. Since they've decided to do things their own way, there is no federal funding. It all comes from parents, donors, teachers, and fundraisers like tonight.

Brian and I took my mom and my sister and her fiancée. We had a fabulous time.


We had a wonderful time at the live auction and then proceeded to dance the night away. My sister shut the place down!

It was a ball.

One of the auction items that I had my eye on was a bird that the five kids in Addison's class created (yes, I said five kids). There are only five kids in her class. I told you it was a dream!


The kids were each given a section of canvas with instructions to paint within the lines. Addy was given the head and the upper wing. I feel in love with this when I saw it.

First of all, it's incredible that 4 and 5 year olds did this!

But to know that Addy worked on it, I had to have it.

But I was outbid! Desmond Mason and his wife Andrea were there, and she loved the painting.

Desmond played for the NBA for 10 years and now is extremely active in the community. Andrea is the owner of a workout facility in OKC that incorporates pilates, yoga, and ballet into one workout called Barre3 which I am totally checking out after tonight.



After the bidding was over, my amazing husband went up to Desmond and asked him if we could buy the painting from them. His wife found out that I wanted it because our daughter worked on it, and she came and found me to tell me it was ours. They were so incredibly sweet!

So tonight, I am extremely grateful to have beautiful Scissortail Flycatcher in my house that I know Addy will be so excited to see when she wakes up in the morning.

I'm grateful for art, generosity, and the beauty of creating. And I am so extremely grateful that Addison has the opportunity to learn and grow in an environment where she can be exactly who she is.

.....day 29 of a year of writing.....


1 comment:

  1. That painting is amazing!! Seriously I can't believe 5 year olds did that!! And what a sweet story that y'all will remember forever!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs