Bath Crayons...Attempt # 1

Monday, September 19, 2011


Okay, so I have seen these bath crayon recipes all over Pinterest and on the web. My kids LOVE bath crayons and they are not cheap, so I thought this would be a fun project for us.

I used a very common recipe that can be found multiple places online for bath crayons made with glycerin soap.

Here is what we picked up at our local craft store:

  • 1 - 5 lbs bag of pure glycerin soap 
  • Soap dye (6 different colors)
  • Vitamin E oil
  • Honey Almond and Lemon Verbena scented oils
  • A baking mold used for making cookie or brownie sticks (it was the closest thing to the shape of a crayon that I could find)
Addy was excited to help making Bath Crayons. We'd been talking about it all week. So on a lazy Sunday morning, we began the adventure into soap making. 

We separated out 5 cubes for each color we were going to make.



Also fun as blocks


Into the microwave the soap went for 30 seconds at a time until it was completely melted (about 2 minutes total).



In goes the soap dye


And stir it all up.



Here is the mold we found. It's really for baking, but I couldn't find a crayon mold. (I later found one online....see info below.)



Once we filled up the first mold, we started filling up a few fun Christmas themed molds I had for Scentsy. They worked perfectly. 

A snack break.





The soap dyes (which do not actually make the soap into crayons....keep on reading.....)

Once they were hardened, we popped them out of the molds and Addy decided to sort the soaps. 







Luke snatched a blue tree and that turned into a sibling fight. 











So here is the end result. They look great and work great as soaps, but they do NOT write on the tub. They just come out clear. No color. No bath crayons. No bueno. :( 

They do smell good and are really moisturizing thanks to the vitamin E oil. They also lather well, but they don't work as bath crayons. 

I was frustrated that this experiment didn't work, so I tried the same thing with regular food coloring. Same result....still no color when you try to write in the bath. 

So needless to say, that was a flop. Don't try it. It doesn't work. I am determined to find one what does work. I have seen a recipe that involves grating Ivory soap. That sounds messy to me, but I'm willing to try. I will let you know how it goes. 

In the meantime, have any of you tried to make Bath Crayons? And if so, have you had any success? Let me know! 


Website where I found the crayon mold that I plan to use next time: http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/ Shipping is high but the soap and molds are much cheaper than at a craft store.
.....day 38 of a year of writing.....

1 comment:

  1. Bummer that they don't write like the bath crayons you can buy at the store! but it looks like you had fun making them!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs