Not the Morning I Had Planned

Thursday, September 15, 2011


Well, I'm a little irritated to say the least.

Let me explain to you how big of an idiot I am.  Officially.  I know that's harsh, but read on, and you'll agree.

I set my alarm clock this morning for a time that I would usually only wake to board an early flight.

My sister and I planned to attend a 6:00 a.m. Barre 3 class. Barre 3 is a blend of pilates, yoga, and the ballet barre. I was super excited.

I must have been because I don't wake up at 5:15 a.m. for hardly anything.

I go out to my car to find it dead. Nice huh? That should have been my first sign.

Whatever.

I gather all my belongings and tote them into Brian's truck and head out. The Barre 3 studio is about a 20 minute drive from my house (on a normal day...apparently today is laid out to be anything but normal).

So on the road I go. A little irritated, but not shaken...

Now here is where you need some background.

I am horrible with directions. Ask anyone who knows me well. I can only drive to places I frequent often. Only. Period.

When I first moved to the city in college, I got so lost trying to find a certain bank that I ended up 40 minutes away from where I was trying to go. (Yep....don't drive with me.)

Thank the Lord for Google maps and navigation.

So, I looked up the address on my phone and attempted to put it in the navigation in the truck. Great plan.

Until there's construction.

I had to exit an exit earlier than I planned. I was literally only two minutes from the studio when I exited. But I wasn't sure which way to turn.

Now if you live in the Oklahoma City area, you may agree with me that the Classen exit off of I-44 west is not exactly driver friendly. It's confusing. Well, it's confusing to me anyways.

I took one wrong turn and ended up on I-44 east. If you've been reading carefully, you'll remember that I just exited off of I-44 west. I do not want to be on I-44 east. Especially before the sun comes up.

I end up by the State Capitol building, and then the truck navigates me to downtown OKC (not even close to where I'm trying to go).

At this point, I'm already late.

I keep pressing on though. Convinced that I will not let this one wrong turn (which turned into multiple wrong turns) define my day.

I finally get to the studio. Twenty minutes late. The door is locked. And rightfully so. It's still dark outside.

I walk back to the truck defeated.

On the way home, I attempt to ponder why on earth I needed that experience this morning.

And you know what? I did not receive any sort of divine explanation. Nothing.

Have you ever made one wrong turn that turned into many and then wondered what the lesson was? Usually we just become frustrated and defeated.

I made it home an hour after I left the house originally with an extreme frustration over the wasted hour I spent in the car.

I immediately hit the pavement running.

I knew I just needed to run it out.

I don't know how far or how long I ran. I just ran.

And even though I was still expecting some revealing explanation to my lost morning, I got nothing.

Nothing except peace.

And you know what? I'll take peace any day.

I'm actually smiling as I type this. Not exactly sure why.

I guess I just trust that there is much more than I know.

Peace even in a snowball of wrong turns and wasted time. I guess that's all God's really asking for. Unending trust and peace in His plan.

I'm game. Peace it is.

Bring on the day.

Thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. 
~ 1 Cor. 2:14

.....day 34 of a year of writing....


2 comments:

  1. Awh, that does not sound like a good morning!! Hope your day/weekend is better!!

    I'm a blogger too! I'm on your scentsy team my star director is Jami Sullins. :) Looking forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so needed to read this post this morning. It has been anything but a great day so far...and it's only 10:30. I asked the Lord to fight my battles today because it's just one of those days that will be nonstop and I'm incredibly weary. I need that peace today and I was really so encouraged by reading your post. Now on to great the rest of this day!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs