The Word of the Week {Discipline}

Sunday, November 6, 2011


With the thought of a new baby or another toddler being my responsibility within the next few months, I can't help but think of how much more discipline I need in my life.

To be honest, there are very few things that I am consistently disciplined about. I have short stretches of discipline where I'm in God's Word every morning for a few weeks at a time or I make working out a priority for a month or so, but somehow everytime I get into a routine of discipline, before I know it, I'm out of the habit and wishing I were disciplined again.

Is it just me? I'm hoping it's not just me.

One of the things I desire most is a life of discipline. It seems as though when I have lots of structure surrounding my life and the expectations I have for myself, I am more at peace. And isn't that what we're all searching for? A little more peace?

It's not ironic that my life is more peace-filled when I read the Bible daily. It's not like there is less chaos in my life when I'm in God's Word (sometimes there is actually more chaos), I just feel more at peace about everything that's happening to me.  And it's not ironic that I have more energy, can get more done in a day, and feel better about myself when I make working out a priority.

But those things take discipline, and it seems that discipline is a virtue that is completely undervalued in our generation and even our society.




Being disciplined often means sacrificing the desires of our flesh to achieve more in this life. An obvious example is choosing to eat healthy. We often have to give up what may taste good for a moment to eat what will make us feel good long term if we want to eat healthy.

With discipline comes much reward. Often a better physical physique, a healthier family, a more peace-filled life, etc.

But are we willing to disciple ourselves? And at what cost? What are we willing to give up and sacrifice for a more disciplined life?

I know that I can make a list of the things I want to give. Things like procrastination, most of the TV, facebook browsing, multi-tasking, going to bed late.....and the list could go on, I'm sure.

I think this quote sums up our discussion over discipline:

That's the one thing I know to be true about discipline in any aspect of your life. It's not easy, but the payoff is totally worth it.



This week I'm drawing some lines in the sand in multiple areas of my life. These are things that I am going to choose to be disciplined about.

So I know this long post over discipline just keeps getting longer, but one of the tactics that helps me stay disciplined and focused on what is important is The Sunday 7.



My Sunday 7 this week involves multiple things that I'm committing to this week to become more disciplined. I encourage you to find at least one area in your life that could use a little discipline. Remember, your 7 most important areas, may be different than mine. For more information on the Sunday 7 click here.


  1. Faith:  Starting everyday in God' Word. Completing all the homework for my Bible studies. 
  2. Family: This one has to do with my kiddos. We have gotten into a bad habit of getting them in bed too late and it puts stress on all of us. For the next seven days, we are committing to having the kids in bed by 8:00 at the latest. 
  3. Relationships: Life has been busy, and I have not had enough good conversations with my best girlfriends lately. We will definitely be connecting via HeyTell this week. 
  4. Work (Scentsy): I have to become disciplined about staying current with my voicemails and my emails. I have a tendency to get behind, and not get caught up in a timely manner. This week I'm committing to catching up and then creating a disciplined habit of staying caught up. 
  5. Finances: Here comes another line in the sand: This week we're finally going all cash. I have the budget finalized, and this is the week that we're disciplining ourselves to actually stick to it. 
  6. Health and Fitness: Another major change here this week: I have gotten into a bad habit of eating whatever I want and hardly working out. Not going to work! So I signed up for Weight Watchers Online and I'm actually excited about it. You know I love a good plan! And I am going to discipline myself to run nine miles a week. 
  7. Down Time: Strangely enough I should probably discipline myself to find some downtime. I am not good at intentional downtime. Sine the start of the Sunday 7, I have gotten better at it, but I still have a ways to go. This week I'm reading before bed every night (just for pleasure) and I'm taking at least one good bubble bath this week. 

So here's the million dollar question? What do you need to be more disciplined about? I think we would all agree that there is something....what is it for you?

My challenge for you this week is to post what you want to become more disciplined about and make a personal commitment to yourself to make that happen.

Where do you lack discipline? And what is your plan to create discipline in your life? I can't wait to hear. As always, you can post your Sunday 7 below too to hold yourself accountable this week.

.....day 86 of a year of writing.....


3 comments:

  1. This post definatly struck a chord with me. I've always had discipline in short bursts. It's one of my biggest flaws - the lack of discipline. I hope it's not always a challenge in my life but at least it's a weakness that I'm aware of so that I can try to improve. I gained a lot of insight while reading your post. This week, I'm working hard at keeping my eating/workouts on track. I'm doing Weight Watchers right now, and it's been on the most amazing things but the past two weeks have been hard. I'm a little bored with my routine and I need to shake it up. This is a journey I'm on and I've barley scratched the surface. We had a great meeting on Saturday and I've been really fueled up to get things back on track. I need the discipline and structure...but yet freedom...of a program like Weight Watchers bc without it, I could (and have) gone way to crazy with eating. Yum! I just love food. :) This week = discipline in eating and exercising.

    P.S. Yeah for signing up for WW! It's an AMAZING program!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started walking w my new neighbor;)) I'm committed just as much as she is;) so happy I know this will help my anxiety!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful for your posts and exposing your REAL life to us, so we understand that we are Normal! :) I LOVE your Sunday 7! I purchased the muchado planner and it has been a life changer! My goals are very similar to yours... i don't want to be the chubby girl on the beach in January so I recently started a work out plan and the Arbonne Fresh Start plan... so far so good. Digging in to the Word is something I've been doing for a while and pretty consistently... HOWEVER, at the wrong time of day. I'm reading at night and I would LOVE to be disciplined enough to get up in the morning and soak in our Lord's presence first thing to start the day. I need to find a more consistent way to communicate and engage my Scentsy team (I think we are at that stage we are seeing it start to grow exponentially and wow, that is exciting!) I was just talking to Joel again about Budget. It's time!!! And reading for pleasure is a must. I read all studies or leadership and I need a little fiction in my life! :) Any suggestions that you've read lately?
    XO.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs