Christmas All Grown Up

Saturday, December 24, 2011

I'm not sure when it happened.....when I started experiencing Christmas as a grown up.

Well, technically, I know exactly when it happened.

But, it seems like it slowly seeped into what I know to be true of Christmas.

It seems like just last year I was lying in my bed, staring up at the ceiling...unable to sleep, but afraid to move at the same time; listening ever so carefully for a sound on the roof.

Oh, the anticipation.

And suddenly it was morning. I guess I had finally fallen asleep and now it was time to rush downstairs.

What would await us when we turned the corner? We couldn't go in until everyone was ready. We had to wait until just the right moment.

They wanted to see our faces. They wanted to see our reaction.

Suddenly, I'm waiting again. But, this time I'm not waiting for Santa to land on my rooftop. I'm waiting for the look of anticipation on my kiddos faces.

I wonder what they think about before falling asleep at night.

Are they afraid he'll fly over our house if they're not asleep when he arrives? Do they toss and turn with anticipation?

Tonight as I sit in the living room and watch my husband put together scooters, I can't help but smile.

There is something beautiful about believing in things that you can't see. And even though I know where the magic comes from now, I love it all the more.



My December didn't turn out exactly like I planned for it to. All the presents were not bought and wrapped as early as I wanted them to be. We didn't read Christmas books every single night like I said we would. And there were a few times I found myself simply overwhelmed.

But, tonight beneath the glow of the Christmas tree, anticipating the morning, I'm happy, content, and ready to play. I'm ready to unplug for a week (maybe two) and just be with my family.

The end of this year and the beginning of the next definitely deserves some celebration.

Tomorrow we'll start with the celebration of the birth of our Savior. And then we'll just have to wait and see what the next week holds.

What a blast it is to create memories for our kids. Christmas is still fun even when you're all grown up.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas (Eve technically).

.....day 134 of a year of writing......


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs