Step Away

Wednesday, December 7, 2011


Parenting is a huge sacrifice. Every day you give of yourself for someone else.

Little people who need to be loved and guided in preparation for "life as we know it" rely on us as parents.

I've noticed lately that I have a tendency to slip into a very selfish mode far too often when my kids are around, and I don't like it.

I look at my phone too much or get on the computer too much or quickly glance at Pinterest.

Come on.....can someone say Amen?!

I know I'm not the only one.

Occasionally I have what I like to call, "I'm SuperMom!" parenting days.



After deciding to consider what makes those days different than all the other days of the week when I suck as a mom, I have found that the solution to being SuperMom is simple.

Pay attention to your kids and step away from the technology!


My generation is completely stuck on technology. It's like we start to have withdrawals after only a few minutes without checking some sort of status.

And please know that I am preaching to myself here! I am the worst.

But, I have noticed that my life as a parent is so much easier when I give my kids the attention they deserve and stop being so selfish with my time.

Do you struggle with this?

I don't know why it's just now occurring to me. If it's not the computer, it's my phone, or occasionally the TV.

So my solution? Make a pact with myself to stop multitasking with my kids. It's not fair to them or to me. And the honest truth is that everyone is happier when we're all in the same place at the same time (without technology taking their momma to someplace else).

Want to join me? You can do it. Go ahead....step away from the phone....

.....day 117 of a year of writing.....

6 comments:

  1. I love this post. I feel the exact same way. That's why I have decided to only get on the computer while my kiddos sleep.

    Thanks for being so real!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE CAN DO THIS!!! .guilty.
    XO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally understand ;) I set a timer and I'm trying to say "no tech" after 8!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunatly, I can mutter an "amen". I've had to start being more intentional with my time when my daughter isn't napping. She's just 11 months so sometimes it's hard to really play with her...or so I tell myself to justify spending time online when I should be with her. I had been so much better about this a few weeks ago...and I've slipped back into my old habits. Thank you for the reminder.

    And though this is going to seem highly inappropriate on this post, I did want to let you know that amazon.com is having a 50% off sale on select Melissa and Doug toys, today only.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Total amen...but OUCH, what a painful amen that was! I am SO guilty with this...and I don't even have a phone with email/ Internet...but I still fall prey to this! Great reminder to us all! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. I have been so convicted of this lately....but I've been choosing to drown out that conviction - pretty stupid. I feel that my time on my computer/phone not only takes time away from my precious baby but also disrupts time I could be spending with my husband. Thanks for the reminder. God definitely used this post to speak to me!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs