2 + 4 = 6

Friday, February 3, 2012


Suddenly there are more of us.

More mouths to feed. More little bodies to bathe. More babies to rock to sleep.

A friend called on Wednesday night to let me know that there were two babies in her family who were being taken to the shelter. She knew we were in the process of getting our foster care paperwork done, and she wanted to know if we would take them.

Yesterday was uneventful expect that Brian's fingerprints finally came back and our contract was submitted for review. Go figure. I guess that's just God's perfect timing.

And today, all of a sudden, there were more of us.

How are we doing?

I guess okay. Everyone was in bed by 9:30.....everyone except Luke, who is snuggled between Brian and me on the couch watching Gold Rush with us (he likes all the trucks and tractors).

I honestly haven't had time to process all of it.

They came with hardly anything. The case worker did stop at their grandma's to get some clothes and diapers, which I know is rare (but there wasn't much). I stopped at Toys-R-Us after a grocery store run to pick up all the baby stuff I thought we needed. Diapers, pull-ups, wipes, snacks, clothes, jammies, socks, sippie cups, the works.

Addison and I went out for frozen yogurt after I picked her up from school. It's a weekly outing for us, but this time was different. We've been talking about taking care of a baby while its mommy and daddy is sick. And today that became real. She was thrilled with the news that two babies were coming to stay with us for a while. Her exact reply was, "That'll be four babies!....including me!.....but I'm not a baby!"

Oh, so true. Four kids under the age of five....that's hard to do.

The baby boy just turned one on January 17th, and the sweet girl we have will be two on March 1st. Addison will turn five on March 14th and Luke will turn three on March 11th. We're officially crazy!

I guess I'm not done processing all of it yet. I don't really know what to think. I think we're going to have to have lots of routines and systems, that's for sure. But, other than that, I have no idea what this is going to look like.

I'm sure you'll be the first to hear all the exciting stories.....let the journey begin. This is adventure.

.....day 175 of a year of writing.....


4 comments:

  1. So proud of you. I'm so excited to see what God has for you and Brian. What a blessing. XO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how awesome and truly inspiring of you and Brian to open your hearts and home to these sweet babies and their family in need. I know you've been waiting for this and it's been a long process...then bam, it's happened! Just keep your focus on God and He will guide you through this. You and Brian will be great! I know you have lots of love to give :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Allison, my heart just jumped! You've been waiting for this for so long. You and Brian will be in my prayers as you travel this journey together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allison, I have four kids and had them within 5 year span. Just wanted to tell you that it takes a lot of patience. Just patience. And it gets easier everyday. Good Luck! :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs