Book Lover

Thursday, April 25, 2013

I am a lover of all things books.

I'm that mom that orders like every single book in the Scholastic book order form and makes my kid carry home a 10 lb backpack.

When we moved, the boxes of kid's books filled an entire section of the moving van.....seriously.

I can't help it. I just love books.

Kind of like I love pens and purses and bags.....Now that I think of it, maybe that's why I became an English teacher. Just the thought of all those colored pens sitting on my desk in a cute little cup and the rows and rows of books I would have in my classroom organized by genre with a color coded sticker on the spine. Apparently the thought of all that organized book bliss made me spend 4 years in college so I could teach school for 2 and then quit my job to stay home with my baby girl and make more money doing something better (where I can still have colored pens and books....and purses and bags), but I digress.

Anyways, as I was saying. I really love books. So much so that I opened up my laptop to tell you about it, got distracted by a blog post, and ended up buying yet another book for my kindle.

It's a serious condition I have. I'm telling you. I have more books on my "to read list" then I will ever probably have time to read in a lifetime. And then people are going to keep writing more books, and my list will keep growing, and then what I am going to do?!

Have an even longer list I guess.

So I say all that to simply tell you that I love books (in case you haven't picked up on that one yet).

I love they way they make me feel. I love the memory I have of snuggling up with a book as a teenager and going to a different place. A place where it didn't matter what people thought of me or what kind of jeans I was wearing, or who my friends were.

Books have long been an escape for me....a journey to magical places and secret gardens (one of my favorite books as a little girl!), and I hope that my kids will love them the way I do.

As an adult, books help me gain perspective on life outside my bubble. They have helped me to see Christ in others and learn that I'm not the only one without perfect parenting skills. Books make me want to be a better person. They take me from the "I've got this" mentality to the "there is always something to learn" perspective, and I think overall, that perspective has served me well.

So with all that being said, I'm curious.....what is your favorite book lately? And what is your favorite kids' book?

I'm smack in the middle of reading Sparkly Green Earrings- Catching the Light at Every Turn by Melanie Shankle (aka Big Mama), and I cannot put it down. Anyone with kids (of any age) will smile through the pages of this one.



And my favorite kid's book right now is called Press Here by Herve Tullet. It is the funnest book for kids. Both my 4 and 6 year old beg to read it over and over again.


It's your turn....what are your favorites? Thanks in advance for sharing! 

1 comment:

  1. Loved Sparkly Green Earrings...just read "The Storyteller," by Jodi Picault. Just read "Don't Go," by Lisa Scottoline...great read. Oh! "Home Front," by Kristen Hannah was fabulous Like you I love so many books, it would be hard to even begin t.o narrow the list. Love all kids books by Patricia Polacco. She's dyslexic, like my daughter, which endears her to me.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs