Praying Tonight

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I don't have words to even begin.

The largest tornado in history ripped through a town only 30 miles south of our home today. Moore, Oklahoma how we are covering you in prayer.

My heart has literally ached today. I sat anxiously awaiting the news that our friends in the path of today's tornado were safe. Hours later, we received the call that all was well with those we love and know.

Unfortunately that was not the case for everyone's loved ones today. At nearly midnight, I'm still up, glued to the news. The tears come and go. The hardest part to handle is the elementary school. Words like "make-shift morgue" "children drowned" "like a warzone" "91 killed." It's just too much.

Even the reporters are crying and emotional. I've never seen anything like it.

I can't stop the tears. It doesn't make sense. You want to be able to blame someone, but there is no one to blame.

Many people will blame God. They will get angry, and look for somewhere to point the blame. We're human. We want it to be someone's fault. But it's not.

I don't have the explanation as to why natural disasters happen. I wish I had answers there. We all do. But I do know about a savior who came to bring peace to the world.

And even though the Bible doesn't speak directly about natural disaster, it does talk about tribulation. And I don't know greater tribulation than this.

The Bible guarantees that we will walk through tribulation. My prayer is that all the pain and hurt and loss turns people toward Christ and not away from Him. It is okay to be mad. It is oaky to ask questions. It is often in our anger that we find what we're looking for.

I prayed over my children tonight; thanked the Lord for them; let them know how much they are loved and cherished in my eyes. And I let silent tears fall from my eyes as I snuggled them in their beds while praying unceasingly for those mommies and daddies who don't know where their babies are tonight.



Oh Lord, when we have no words, would you cover us? When we don't know how to pray, would you take what's on our hearts and translate it? When it seems like there is no hope, would you bring miracles and mercy and grace?

You alone can comfort those who are hurting. You alone can bring peace. Father, comfort the families who lost loved ones. Lay your powerful hands of mercy over the city of Moore, Oklahoma.

And Lord, would you guide us? Would you help us to honor you always as we hear the stories of rescue and recovery?

You are our healer, our creator, our comforter, our counselor, our source of peace. Be evident in the midst of this chaos. Be present in the middle of this disaster.



Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Romans 12:12 ESV

Please pray for Oklahoma. Give what you can. Serve how you can. Minister how you can. Be the hands and feet of Christ.

Our God is good. I know that much. Lord, please let your glory be shown amidst the circumstances.

3 ways you can give right now to help out people in Moore. 

Text STORM to 80888 for Salvation Army. 
Text REDCROSS to 90999 for Redcross. 
Text FOOD to 32333 for Reg. Food Bank

Until tomorrow,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs