Because I needed someone who GOT me

Monday, July 8, 2013


I was going to write about Care Baskets tonight, but I decided to hold off. We are going to talk about what Care Baskets are and how you can help us very soon. And we'll be giving away some serious goods to some lucky winners. But that will have to wait for another day.

Today, I was blessed with the opportunity to sit across from a woman who I felt totally got me. And it was so, so good.

This meeting was something I had been praying about for a very long time. And until today, we had never even met.

I knew that I was in need of a mentor. And there are a few choice women in my life that I look up to as mentors, but I needed a more formal mentoring relationship.

But I didn't know how to find that person. How do you find someone that you want to look up to and look to for advice and encouragement? It's tough.

I had been praying for a while that the Lord would bring someone into my life. A couple Sundays ago, our pastor preached an incredible message that clearly reiterated the importance of having a mentor in your life.

Before the call to Christ was over, I was on my phone, sending a tweet to a friend of ours who works at our church. We have known her for a long time, and for some reason, her name came to my mind. I knew that she could hook me up with someone who got me and would be able to lead me and encourage me.

So we talked for a bit on the phone as she tried to figure out what I was looking for. In the midst of our conversation, a name came very clearly to her mind, and it was like a match made in Heaven.

I struggle with always being the encourager. I'm always the leader. I'm always the one in charge. And that is all good and well, but I was in desperate need of someone who could speak into my life and help me stay the course of obedience.

And I think I found her.

We started talking, and I was immediately comfortable. I got to share our foster care story, our leadership journey in Scentsy, my battles with fear, my struggles with leading Bible study and how tough women's ministry is, and my unwavering desire to live in obedience to whatever the Lord calls me to. And she just got me.

I feel so good.

I can't think of another word. It's just nice to get to know someone who has the same values and desires as you. It's nice to get to know someone for once who isn't looking for me to steer the ship.

Don't get me wrong. I am honored, humbled, and thrilled to be in the leadership positions I'm in, but I don't always want to be in charge.

On another similar note, Im excited about the opportunity act as a mentor to a couple pretty awesome girls. They don't know it yet, but my sister and I are taking our twin cousins under our wings. They will be freshmen in college next year, and they'll only be 30 minutes away. Whitney and I have decided that we'll be having lunch with them on a frequent basis, they just don't know it yet.

I'm wondering if you feel the same way? Do you need someone to pour into your life? And are you pouring into someone else? In every stage of our lives, we are both in a position to be a mentor and a mentee. (I think I made that word up. Google keeps telling me it's not a word, but you know what I mean!)

Oh, and what do you think?

Looks a little different around here....you like? She still has more to do, but it'll be completely done in the next couple of days, and I am in love! Seriously love it. It makes me happy, and I figure we could all use a little happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs