A story about timing

Friday, October 4, 2013

This is a story about timing and about trust and about faith. It is only part of our story. Many of you know some of it, but very few know the end. It may take me a few days to get to the end, but the end is the best part. 

It started as a thought. Maybe we could. 

Maybe we could open up our home, love someone else, help someone else. Maybe we could. 

And then the call came in the form of scripture. The book of James specifically. And I started to feel the Lord leading us into foster care. 

I felt the tug on my heart long before I responded to it, and then I had to wait for the Lord to move in Brian's spirit. And He did. 

We signed up for a home study and background checks and 27 hours of pre-service training. And before we knew it, there was a phone call. 

I had waited so expectantly for our paperwork to be approved. I knew we would have a baby by Christmas. But the Lord's timing was more than perfect. 

It was February when we got the call that our paperwork was approved, and immediately after that, we had not 1 but 2 babies. 

I couldn't turn down the call. We had loose ties to these babies before they came into our home. When they showed up on the doorstep, they had been in the shelter for 7 days, and my heart immediately melted. 

I will never forget their eyes as they looked up at me while they stood on my front porch with dirty faces and mismatched clothes. 

The worker's arms held the baby boy (1), and that little girl (still a baby herself....not yet 2 years old) stood on her own and reached her sweet little arms up to me immediately. She called me momma in the first five minutes. 

His big blue eyes stole my heart within in moments. I just held him in my arms. So close. Wishing I could have rescued them sooner. Wishing they wouldn't have had to stay in the shelter. 

They came with a grocery sack of clothes that were the wrong sizes and smelled of cigarette smoke. After a few papers were signed, the worker was gone, and we went from 4 to 6. 

And life became different. 

to be continued......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs