Day 1 away from Social Media

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Well I did it. A whole day without social media. 

No instagram. No facebook. No twitter. 

I took it all off my phone and honestly it was the most freeing thing I have ever done. How crazy is that?! But it was. I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. 

I'm interested to see where this goes. I can already see the challenges. My bible study uses a facebook group to communicate, but I sent a mass email today instead.....I use facebook and instagram for lots of business stuff, but I guess I'll find other ways to communicate. 

I'm starting to wonder if I was feeling pressure from everything that happens on facebook. There are endless amounts of people who can contact you, message you, poke you, like you...whatever, and often times, that's exactly what was happening. Lots of people messaging me. Me feeling overwhelmed. Me feeling guilty. I'm kind of over it. 

I don't miss facebook. I miss instagram. I miss my pictures being there. (Is that self-centered to say?) I do though. I miss having that documentation of our lives. I'll just have to be more intentional about snapping shots throughout the day and posting them here...especially for our friends and family. 

I am surprised at the feedback. Some of you thought I was crazy. A lot of you understand. I think the understanding speaks volumes. 

Anyways, it's beginning. A journey. A challenge. A new adventure. A life without social media. I can't wait to see how it turns out. 

8 comments:

  1. I gave up Facebook about 2 years ago…it was honestly one of the best things I've ever done. I realized how much time I wasted on there throughout the day and reading everyones negative posts really weighed on me. I never really knew how much it was effecting me until I deleted it. It's huge! I honestly felt relieved. Yesterday when I read your post, I 100% understood how you were feeling. I am on Instagram and love it! It's nice to 'keep up' with people in a more positive way. Anyways…I love your blog. I read it everyday and look forward to your posts every night. You are very inspirational. Thanks for writing and letting us peek into your everyday life and mind!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stephanie,
      Thanks for your encouraging words. It's nice to know that other people live without it : )
      I'm totally missing instagram for sure though! It is so different than facebook.

      Delete
  2. Well, I just want to say that I understand whatcu mean by feeling overwhelmed. I know FB is and can be a time waster. I have for about a month been trying to ween myself away a bit. So I don't get on as much. I love instagram! I love pictures-- that is what I miss most about you being off social media. :) I loved seeing your pictures, Seeing your babies. I miss not being a bible study. I want to do Sarah's evening one. Hoping the BS Christmas is in the evening. But I do love my new job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Facebook can be the biggest time sucker! I've noticed that I don't have that regret over meaninglessly looking through the feed and getting nothing from it. I do miss instagram though! I may not be able to last a year without it! we'll see.

      Delete
  3. I ADORE how you set a goal and you stick to it, first the year of writing, now the year of no social media. You keep me going when I feel like puttering out! I love you and am SO proud to know you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Virginia! I wish my goals weren't always so extreme. Why didn't I just go with 3 months or 6 months?!
      Anyways. Thanks for your encouraging words.

      Delete
  4. I still haven't figured out how to give up the digital noise in my life, especially since I'm trying to begin building my name as a writer and so much of that is connected to the wasteland that is social media. I applaud you for going forward without the noise--for actually LIVING in the real world. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nicole! It is just that isn't it!? Digital noise!
      I will say the biggest challenge has been a lack of marketing for my business since I walked away from it. That's really the only thing that's really hard. I don't miss it. But it is becoming challenging running a business away from the party that you feel everyone is having on social media.
      strangely enough, I would call this living. It's amazingly freeing to walk away from it all.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs